I’ve been getting really into grapefruit recently. It was sparked by a drink at The Barn that combined ice cold grapefruit juice and coffee in a delicious and unexpected way (I definitely recommend if you’re ever in the area) and ever since I’ve been eating a lot of grapefruit.
Now my inspiration behind this salad is far from studied and it is, for the most part, stolen. Watching Queer Eye for the Straight Guy on Netflix I loved the look of Antoni’s grapefruit and avocado salad that he makes in the third episode (not going to lie, I binge watched the whole season), but wanted to bulk the salad out. The solution: rocket (or arugula if you’re from the other side of the pond).
This salad does everything, bittersweetness from the grapefruit, peppery bite from the rocket and creamy richness from the avocados. It goes well with fish and meat as a summery side dish, or can be bulked up with your favourite grain for a more substantial vegan meal.
If you need a hand supreming the grapefruit I recommend looking at this video from Martha Stewart – easy and straightforward to follow.
Feeds 2, as a side
- 1 Grapefruit
- 1 Avocado
- 75g Rocket
- Olive Oil
- First you need to supreme the grapefruit, which basically means removing the segments with none on the peel, pith or membrane. Cut off both ends of the grapefruit, revealing the fruit underneath. Standing it on one exposed end cut away the rest of the peel and pith, working from top to bottom.
- Holding the now peeled grapefruit in your hand over a bowl insert the knife next to the membrane before repeating on the other side of the segment. Continue until all segments are loose in the bowl underneath.
- You can either squeeze any juice from the weird grapefruit membraney thing you’re left with now and mix well later, or you can keep it to add once the other ingredients are combined. It’s up to you, but this acts as the dressing, so don’t let it go to waste.
- Cut the avo in half and remove the pit. Cut into cubes and scoop out of the skin into the bowl with the grapefruit. I think that cubes give the best texture, but if you’d rather use a teaspoon scoop away – it’s your salad.
- Add a couple of handfuls of rocket and gently toss the ingredients together, I’d recommend doing with your hands so it doesn’t start to get mushy. Add a little olive oil, the remaining juice from what’s left of the grapefruit if you haven’t already, and season to taste.